Find BIPOC academic editors for hire
If and when you have sufficient funding to pay for editorial services, we recommend you hire a Black and/or Indigenous editor. This page lists several membership directories for BIPOC editors as well as, with their permission, several Black and/or Indigenous editors who specialize in academic and scholarly editing.
Request pro bono editing
To request pro bono editing services, (1) scroll down this page to find editors currently available, or (2) contact us with your request, and we will connect you with an editor.
Black and/or Indigenous editors who specialize in academic editing
Note: The editors on this list work independently and are not necessarily affiliated with the Academic Editing Circle. Please contact them directly to discuss your project.
Would you like to be listed here?
- Your website here
- Brief information about your editorial skills and content areas here. Please email us to be added to this list!
Do you know someone who might want to be included in this list?
- Please contact us with their name and contact information, and we will email to ask if they’d like to be included. Thank you!
Editors currently offering pro bono editing with the Academic Editing Circle
——— Available for pro bono editing July–September 2021
You may contact any of these editors directly or through the Academic Editing Circle contact page.
- MJ Anderson’s LinkedIn page
- Fifteen years’ experience, including seven years copyediting research reports, journal articles, and funding proposals on US public education. Other editing experience includes health care, medical device development, and general nonfiction.
- Origami Editorial
- A former journal editor with a PhD in history, Leslie brings over ten years of working with scholarly writers in the social sciences and humanities. She specializes in developmental editing of books and journal articles, particularly in Asian studies, interdisciplinary topics, political science, anthropology, and history.
- More than two decades of editing experience, including content for MBA-level courses, history books, and science textbooks as well as some fiction. Specializes in humanities and feminist content.
- Tandem Editing LLC
- Fifteen years’ experience editing journal articles and funding proposals in global health, public health, and nursing research. Background in cultural anthropology, gender studies, interdisciplinary social sciences, and health care research. Editing mentor.
- DRS Editing
- Experienced copyeditor of manuscripts for journal submission in fields such as medicine, molecular biology, and microbiology. MS in biochemistry and a certificate in editing from the University of Chicago Graham School.
——— Available for pro bono editing October–December 2021: TBA
Please contact us to schedule editing projects for October 2021 or later.
Past and future editors participating in the Academic Editing Circle
These editors have completed at least one pro bono editing project through the Academic Editing Circle. They are currently focusing on paid work, but intend to participate again in the future.
- Emily Brown
- Micaiah “Huw” Evans
- Toni Fitzgerald
- Kyra Freestar
- Rachel Fudge
- Barbara Mulvey Little
- Micha Rahder
#AcademicsForBlackLives: a public list of non-Black academics who have pledged to provide various types of support for Black womxn academics during this time of need and beyond. Services available include editing and proofreading as well as support with other academic responsibilities.